Precautions while using Oxygen Therapy
Oxygen can cause fires. It is very important patients protect themselves, their family, and their house when using oxygen. Call your fire department and tell them that oxygen is being used in the house. Keep a working fire extinguisher within easy reach. Make sure you and your family knows how to use it. Do not smoke or go near sparks or flame while using oxygen. Keep sparks and flames away from tanks, oxygen machines, and tubing. If a fire starts, turn off the oxygen right away and leave the house. Keep the oxygen container away from heat and open flames, such as a gas stove. Keep the oxygen container upright. Turn off the oxygen system when it is not being used.